Friday, December 14, 2012

Advantage to PKS?

So this year has been by far one of the most trying on our family and friends for several reasons.  We have endured financial issues, moving, family members becoming ill, children becoming sick, children passing away, friends diagnosed with cancer, among others.  This week my best friend Sarah and her family had a house fire and are currently living with her parents.  Now they are all safe, including their animals, thanks to her daughter Madison.  This is a HUGE reminder to teach your kids what to do in an emergency.  She did everything she should have!!!  So proud of her and Sarah!!!  It's a crazy thing when something like this happens and you realize how many things you rely on.  If you would like to help this amazing family, send me a private message on Facebook or text me. every little bit helps!  Love them:)

So today I was feeling sad just trying to figure out how to help Sarah and then having to take care of some things with Patrick.  I was making some phone calls and getting treated crappy by stupid people...what can ya do, right?  Minor problems it seems now.   Then our world stopped again when I turned the news on.  The pain that these people are going through is unimaginable!  All I could think of is that I wanted to go pick up Avery and bring her home.  Then my second thought was imagining myself on a Friday morning for the last 4 years teaching at Lane.  Teachers and students walking around the building, chatting in the office or hallway, kids going to the library in pairs, just the excitement that it's Friday (and only a week from break).  It made me think of all of my school friends and all the other schools around the country.  I can just picture what was going on in that building today.  Teachers doing their thing, kids doing theirs.  The thought of those precious young kids, so innocent, just doing morning work or circle time and not knowing how vicious and selfish and sick some people in the world are.  How their teachers were doing everything they could to keep them safe.

So as I was watching all of this, I looked over at Patrick and he was laying on the floor, I was trying to get him to nap.  But he was rolling back and forth on the floor shaking his head cracking up laughing at the ceiling fan.  He was having his own little party on the floor.  Those are the moments I love!!!  When he is laughing:). I was also thankful.  Thankful for a lot of things at that moment, but one was that even though I wish he didn't have PKS, I am thankful that he won't have to experience the emotional pain we are all experiencing right now.  He will never have to wonder why people are crazy or why house fires happen or why little kids die.  He is perfectly happy with rolling on the floor and laughing at fans.  And today, I am perfectly happy with that......
Thankful for them

2 comments:

  1. This is so very true. They are content, and so very happy. (Most of the time). It usually takes something to shake us up, and today was one of those days. Recently a mom contacted me as she has a special needs child and asked for some advice. I told her that you will eventually live in the "silver lining". You will see things most people do not, you will be thankful for the littlest of things and moments. So, cheers to ceiling fans, and cheers to your silver lining moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "silver lining" aspect. I think thats great. I take complete advantage of these moments, as we know the times when we have a bad day are much harder to swallow.

    ReplyDelete